RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 03:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Don't know about Saitos but from the observed first hand experience of others, reduction of oil content below that recommended by the manufacturer generally cause pain in the hip pocket nerve (resulting in the expenditure of hard earned cash). I've seen YS's in particular suffer terminal failure with a 5% reduction in oil content. The leaner you run an engine (getting more performance) the more you need the oil for lubrication and to a degree cooling. The only thing I mess with (seriously) in nitro content and apart from tests to destruction I have never had a catastrophic engine failure of any of my engines.
Trev you have run high nitro and know well how much fuel gets sucked through the engine.Even at 10% you can pull a backplate off and see a lot of oil in there.It's even more obvious with the radials where you have a similar size crankcase and many cylinders pumping oil to the same place.With the cdi system some people here like i think it takes away some of the raw offbeat nature of tuning a glow fourstroke engine,especially the bigger saito
singles.Somebody above raised cooling issues with the gas saito's and i take good care to duct the incoming air around the cooling fins and out a well designed exit hole that sucks real good as they say here in aus.With our methanol cooled saito's if you tune them right i sometimes think you could just let the carby suck air through the hole you bored in the cowl to set the low speed needle.

ps i see our best v8 super car driver jamie whincup got bitten while handling a python at some zoo here...makes handpropping an fa220 seem tame