RCU Forums - View Single Post - Oil mix ratio for DLE engines
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man. For whatever reason I resist and resist these oil threads, and then finally have to make a comment. Ok, here goes. This is just what I do and it works fantastic for me.

Pennzoil for Air Cooled Engines or Shell Aerosport 2

15 to 25cc engines 20:1
25cc and up 32:1

I do prefer to break in engines with dino oil, just because they seem to break in faster.

Redline Racing Oil

32:1 under 50cc
40:1 over 50cc

I've seen Amsoil work well at 50:1 in large (400cc plus) engines, and indeed I have many hours flying (instructing) using it in Ultralight Airplanes. But it has a horrible reputation in our small engines. Many tests show less than desirable wear characteristics and hard carbon build up in model airplane engines using AMSOIL.

Numerous tests I've read show MORE power with more oil, not less. Carbon build up sometimes works in reverse, with more oil often actually causing less carbon due I believe to lowered operating temps. In any case, an engine with some carbon can be cleaned, an engine that has seized can be junked..... Just remember, if you are seeing carbon build up on your spark plug, pull the muffler off and have a look at the rings to see if they are getting carboned up. If so, they must be cleaned as a carbon frozen ring can cause a seizure and of course, a loss in power. Periodically pulling the muffler off and inspecting the rings is a standard inspection item on Ultralight Planes, and a good idea on any two stroke from time to time.

I'm done,
AV8TOR
P.S. Love the Koala Bear and the "Wabbit" eating ice cream!

Last edited by av8tor1977; 02-15-2015 at 11:45 AM.