RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3W Bearcat with Moki 300
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 07:00 PM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Mark,

thanks for the lead on the tail wheel option. that BVM wheel looks great and I'm ordering one. Regarding the electric problem, first, It wasn't with Down and Locked, it was with robart electrics. I've heard good things on the down & Locked. But when it came to the robart on two of my other giant scale planes, a Pilatus PC-21 and a TP GS P-47, I've had nothing but issues. I've had them lock up many many times. work on the ground great, then one landing and they bind and freeze. The actuator has what they call a "Amp out motor cutoff & protection". So any over stress on the motor will stop it so the motor doesn't burn out. I think when you get to heavier a/c, like over 30 lbs, the weight of the gear obviously increase to support it. If the motor gets too much tension, it cuts out and you have to recycle. I started running my P-47 electric gear on their own battery, a 2S direct, and that helped a bit since it gave a little more power to the motor. I also like air since I can move the gear at a speed I like, not just the speed of the motor, which I find a bit slow with electric on the larger heavier gear. Robart told me I must have made a hard lading for them to bind.. I'm not perfect, but my Top Flite p_47 never had a hard landing. Most of the guys I've spoken to about larger, heavier planes seem to stick to air or hydraulic now. so Just a preference for me.... I know air has it issues too, but if you use top quality connectors/valves and wire ties on all connections they seem pretty reliable. nothings perfect and Down & Locked have a good reputation. They gear to have settled in on my P-47 and i keep them gear clean and use a dry lube.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.JPG
Views:	2402
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	2073612