RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS Wankel .30
Thread: OS Wankel .30
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Wankel .30

I just thought I share this with anyone who is anticipating the purchase of an old OS Wankel.

I just got my Wankel on eBay a few days ago. Just as I suspected, the crank or output shaft and rotor were stuck fast. The engine was new and never had a drop of fuel in it. The 40 year old castor oil had congealed and locked-up the rotor. DO NOT dive in and disassemble the engine! I soaked my engine in fresh Sig Manufacturing fuel. I removed the carburetor and with a small funnel poured fresh fuel in both the intake and exhaust ports. 20 minutes later the rotor was free. Over a 24 hour period I drained the rotor case, and pored fresh fuel into the crankcase repeatedly - I used over a pint of fuel. After 24 hours I drained the fuel/castor mix out of the engine and filled the crankcase with Mobil 1 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. She turns over nicely now with good compression (for a Wankel) and I suspect will be a good runner.

Just to be safe I ordered new rotor seals and springs from Tower Hobbies - before they are no longer available. Just resist the temptation to tear the little engine apart because many owners have been unsuccessful at reassembling them - they never run again.

I can't wait for the 3 feet of snow melt away from my yard so I can break her in.

Cheers,

Bill