RCU Forums - View Single Post - reinforced bondo for quick cowl mold?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 06:56 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hairspray as pva was a no go. In the end, the best thing I had on hand was Vaseline. I had to put it on, heat it up and brush it out. It did release the plug but I had brush marks in the mold. I sanded with 180 to 1500 grit progressively and then waxed the molds. They seem very solid and smooth now. Now I will have to do some tests to see what will work best to keep the epoxy and fiberglass from sticking to the mold. At this point I should have just purchased all the right stuff for the job as I probably have just as much money involved now that I would have with the proper ingredients. I do however have bondo to fix my son's car, a tub of auto wax to wax the cars in the fleet, hair spray for my daughters ballet bun, and a cowl mold that I think will work for my purposes.

I have seen a video of a demonstration where they laid up the two halves of the mold and then connected them together after both were cured. Do you know why they would do this instead of putting the two halves of the mold together and then laying up the cowl all at once? Also, does anyone vacuum bag cowls? It seams that you would get a better end product.

Last edited by flybyjohn; 03-02-2015 at 07:01 AM.