RCU Forums - View Single Post - reinforced bondo for quick cowl mold?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

John, Badger makes a cheap airbrush, that is based on the "bug sprayer" principal. I've used one for over 40 years for quick and dirty applications, including PVA, and even had some award winning painted airplanes done with one. I think they are about $20.00. If your hobby shop doesn't have one, try a Hobby Lobby craft store, or you could probably order one on line. A cowl mold is usually not too challenging of a layup. I have done them both ways: one layup in a single mold, or two piece mold; or two layups, either joined in the mold, or outside the mold. Since you have read, and studied up on mold making, you may already know that each part you make pulls a little wax off the mold surface, so you need to re-wax your mold from time to time. I usually re-wax about every three pulls, on an "aged" polyester mold. Second tip for the day is when making a polyester mold, do a build up of cloth layers over a couple of days. This will help avoid excessive heat which can warp, or distort your molds. If I'm reinforcing my molds with 6 oz. cloth, I only add 4 layers a day. I'm out of time for now. Greg