RCU Forums - View Single Post - Advise please on onboard radio choice
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 01:49 PM
stevekott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R Pursall
Thanks for the reply's guys, very much appreciated.
what would you say is the maximum servo extension lead length you could use without the need for a powerbox?
is a 2m lead considered long?

Rich
I have several jets with leads that long going back to the tail. Use the heavier gauge wire.

I'm not sure using a PowerBox would affect the length you could use on a servo extension. The longer you go you will have a slight voltage drop in high current applications. That is usually compensated with larger gauge wires. But by electrical standards 2m is not that far. Servos will work fine at +5 volts they just draw a little more current. The signal wire is carrying Pulses with very little current. Normally your concern there would be inductive loss at high frequencies over distance. But RC signal frequencies are not that high and 2m is by no means too far.

Be careful on the way back to the tail you protect them from heat in the area between the back of the turbine and the bell mouth of the pipe.

I like to wrap them with a light foil tape in the high heat area. There are many other good methods.