RCU Forums - View Single Post - Carving Laminated 1/2A Props
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 09:31 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TD .020 with a G. Mark .03 throttle installed, along with the G mark .03 itself and a few months ago was contemplating doing up an Ugly Stik for them, you know, just to finally FLY them instead of being bench queens. Well, some inspiration led me to weigh them and darned if a VA MK1 with throttle and muffler wasn't lighter than both. Yes, an .049, the VA .049 MK1 is lighter.

Well, no wonder. There's no liner, the bore of the case was nickel plated. Both the TD and the G Mark have lots of heavy steel aboard. Shoot, even the piston and rod are steel.

And with the VA, even the crankshaft is lighter than the other two. As I recall,,,,, that was months ago.

That VA sure was something special. I've often wondered what coulda been if they had made an .09 version. Or an .020 For a long time, we waited for an.020 from Norvel. Now THAT woulda been neat.

Sure glad I have a half dozen,, two are very early versions with the Nickle plating all over. But the castings weren't so crisp so they don't present as well as you would wish. Ah well. They'll be runners eventually, if I live long enough.

Last edited by AndyW; 03-08-2015 at 09:44 PM.