RCU Forums - View Single Post - White Gas
Thread: White Gas
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 09:26 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
Pull up the pure gas site on your puter and look up your area. We have a Rebel gas station down the road that was supposed to have alcohol free gas but when I tested it the gas had 5% alcohol in it. The station wasn't listed on pure gas though. I still have my little alcohol tester from when I was working in a small engine repair shop so I test the gas to see how much alcohol is in it.
Where can I get one of those testers?

Originally Posted by MTK
I've read about reformulation of Avgas for years now. To me, it ain;t happening, no in my lifetime anyway.
Regardless, I've used avgas in my small gassies (to 60cc) almost exclusively for 5 years. It works great but here are the details:
-Takes a slightly leaner setting, maybe 1/16 turn, than auto gas
-It isn't as expensive as some might think. At present it runs about 3.50$ a gallon. So gallon cost ready to go will be around 5$. To me that's not expensive.
-Local Muny airports are the best sources. They are alot less fussy about aircraft N numbers and such
-Stability is measured in years
-No smell to speak of
-Lead exists but content is pretty low

BUT:
-Power will be slightly down over autogas premium. If you're getting 7500 rpm with premium, you will get around 7200 with avgas
-The lead content is high enough where the plug will need cleaning every 12-15 gallons. No big deal. Besides after a dozen gallons, the engine insides should be looked at and some minor cleaning is almost always required around the head, if the mixture is right.
Good points all around. The one about peak power though, simple really, Aircraft engines are used at certain RPMs, and stay there, and rarely ever go WOT max RPM, while our little buggers we try to eek out every single RPM we can. High octane is used for high compression engines, or lean run applications such as airplane engines. This is why the lower RPM using avgas, it is much slower burning than 90 octane, but much less chance of pre-ignition, so works out well. I wouldnt mind trying it, especially if shelf life is longer than pump gas, and no alcohol in it. I just dont have an airport that has a pump, the one near me brings it in by truck.