RCU Forums - View Single Post - FRSky Taranis Beginners Support Group
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 06:40 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like 049 I bought the Taranis about a year ago. I purchased the package of Transmitter, 8Ch Receiver, Tx case and charger from Aloft. I bought it for the programming flexibility and the telemetry functions. I have since purchased 2 more X8R receivers, an Air Speed Sensor, A Precision Vario. a GPS and a voltage sensor. I have the Air Speed working in a Shoestring (60 powered) and the Altimeter (Vario) in a 1/4 Scale J-3 Cub. The 3rd receiver is in a Electric Powered P-47 with retracts and Flaps. I intend to use the Voltage Sensor in the P-47.

To date I have had no malfunction of any of the equipment. The built in receiver/servo telemetry probably saved the Shoestring about 6 weeks ago. As I was taxing out for the first flight of the day I got a verbal report that A1 voltage was low. I took the airplane home and ran a discharge check and the batteries checked at 250mah left in a 2300mah pack. I replaced the pack.

About 4 years ago I purchased a Weatronic Tx module and 12Ch receiver because I thought it was the best RF link available at that time and they promised Air speed telemetry. Weatronic was late in supplying English voice files for their telemetry so I decided to try the Taranis. My only complaint on the Taranis is the stick centering was too soft for my personal preference. I have fixed that by making metal centering arms for the gimbals. Aloft now offers metal centering arms as a after market item.

I am not a Taranis expert but will help where I can. I have been flying R/C models since 1952. I fly a range of models from large foamy to turbine jet. I also love to scratch build models and have my own web site: http://www.sidgates.us