RCU Forums - View Single Post - Charger MKII - Walt Moucha (vintage bipe kit)
Old 10-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Sincraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charger MKII - Walt Moucha (vintage bipe kit)

That's a good sign. The fuselage must be about finished. You're making good progress.
Not even close. I finished the sheeting on the aft half of the fuse, then had to spend about 2 hours cutting, shaping and gluing the 3/8 block that tops the fuse. Next, I had to figure out why they skipped a couple steps. I figured out that they left out some steps as I read ahead and had to complete these minor but necessary steps. Then I had to put the top cross braces on the top/front fuse to make the canopy look. Also prep'n for the cabane wire thingies where my top wing will attack to eventually. Now that is all complete, I am placing a piece of 3/16" square balsa along the sides of the fuse. It fails to mention however that you should have cut notches out for this prior to installing the fuse semi circle brace thingies. It also has to be sure to be 1/64" from the edge of the fuse along with the semi circle thingies so that I can wrap a piece of 1/64" plywood the whole way around giving it that canopy look. I personally would like to have had a piece of bent and stengthened (glu coating) balsa 1/8" thick but I will follow the plans. Seems rather flymsy especially since there are at least 3" x 3/4" areas completely unbraced that will act as the 'sides' to where the pilots sit.
Another issue I have is with the firewall. From what I can tell it looks like the only thing holding this onto the plane and thus my expensive engine, is the sides of a 1/8" ply and the double that touches the back. There is even a slight gap on the fuse side on the one side of the firewall. So I drained a crap load of CA down through the cracks. I am rather upset that I was not told to epoxy this. Looking ahead, I see a MINOR reinforcement for this toward the bottom where the hollowing out will be for the engine. Regardless, I see this as a major issue and the 1/64" ply side will be flimsy and junky looking at best with covering. So I am not sure what I will do with 'decorating' this...covering or some sort of paint. I need to strengthen this however and probably will have to coat it with something strong yet somewhat flexible. Decisions decisions.

Next I look like I will be working with the gear mounts/supports, and wing mounts/ support. I think I probably have another 10 hours left before I can call the fuse complete. Usually I am wrong about such things so probably more like 15. Sad isnt it?

S