RCU Forums - View Single Post - What The? Catastrophic failure under Spektrum DX9 Control
Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You all bring up good points and ask great questions. I know that it is near impossible to find out what happened. I am ruling out a power failure mostly because of the first time there was no response when I powered up for the second flight. That never happened with the DX7. And again, after I powered down and started over, everything seemed normal, even after a second range check. The battery was brand new and it charged normally, and still does. All of my leads were safety clipped, even after the crash. The AR7000 was not new, I meant the battery was. The satellite RX was securely plugged into the main RX, and the lead, like all the other leads, was run thru conduit that was then secured to the fuse to restrict movement. The 7000 was checked at the "factory" before it was put in the plane, and has already been sent in to be checked since the crash. All my receivers are mounted wrapped in foam, then velcroed down, and finally strapped over securely so they cannot move, but are quite dampened from vibration. I make sure any leads that are connected to the ignition or ignition battery are well away from RX leads. I too use a spot of silicone on my connectors (cool that someone else mentioned this!).Trust me, because of the way I fly, I am very familiar with plane setups. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me in my 20+ years of flying.

I really do appreciate all the feedback, especially about telemetry which is something I've been wanting to get into, but am even more so compelled to do now. Again, I know that trying to find out what happened is virtually impossible. Really, I was just wondering if anyone else had reception or binding issues with the DX9 and older RX's. I know they say it's supposed to work, but the DX9 being still relatively new, I wanted to see if it has happened to anyone else and what they experienced, tried, found out (if anything).

The only other thing that I am wondering is if my understanding of failsafe is wrong. As far as I know, when I set failsafe up, I have it set to kill the engine. The last thing I want if a plane gets away is for the prop to be spinning if it hits someone. From AA5's explanation, it sounds like if signal is lost, then the engine would keep running regardless of cutoff switch setting for failsafe. But if there is loss of power to the RX, then the engine would cut. Tech support explained it differently, more along the lines that I know. I will be testing this when it warms up again. BUT, if anyone else has any experience with this kind of situation, I would love to hear what you found out.

Once again I really do appreciate all the feedback and advice, Thanks y'all!