RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why do hobby shops close?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
There has been a lot of theories why hobby shops go out of business. How about hearing it from hobby shop owners and related businesses, past and present.
Ok.....I'll provide just another armchair opinion from somebody who's never owned a hobby shop......because it would not be surprising if you receive little to no response from a current owner who is either having difficulty with the business now, or had already closed the doors years ago, as failure is often not something most folks care to discuss or take direct blame for. But, about 15 years ago, I was shopping inside of a hobby shop that had "store closing discounts" posted on his windows. Even then, before online shopping was anywhere as prrevelent and popular as it is today, I overheard the owner mention to somebody that it was internet sales that had done him in.

Internet sales being the major obstacle is pretty clear to me, and should NOT be one of life's great mysteries...... as I myself prepare a $1,000 order with Tower Hobbies for a Top Flite Giant P-47, Robart Retracts, and a DLE engine......all shipped free and with $130 in coupon discounts throughout the end of the month. (and, next month will be still another great promotion I'm sure!). While I do prefer to support my local hobbyshop, myself and many others work too hard inside of our middle class income to just hand over an extra $300 to the LHS for this kind of a purchase, just for the sake of being charitable. Online shopping is fast and easy, and the exact RC kit you want with the whole assortment of parts can be aquired online without running around town and placing special orders which will usually cost me close to list price. Add the other deficiencies like unknowledgable store employees and having to pay sales tax, and it's clear to me that anyone who is considering opening a Hobby Shop has trouble differentiating between his dreams-aspirations and the current realities of modern times.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 03-25-2015 at 06:32 AM.