RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ignition causing servos to twitch
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 04:01 PM
mackeyjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by APGSpyder
I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of the set up to better show but the setup is...

Futaba 10CAG 2.4 system with the battery and receiver moved beyond 18" from the firewall.
Hitech HS-645MG's in the wing and all in the tail.
Throttle is just a standard Futaba 3003.
The nylon Sullivan rod has the blue sleeve and yellow nylon center all anchored and does not bow out. I have a nylon ball link on the throttle linkage and the only metal there is the threaded ball end into the end of the pushrod and the ball cup. On the other end is another ball link on the servo arm.
Kill switch is the great planes switch.
Battery, kill switch, ignition are all mounted either on the firewall directly or the firewall box to keep everything as close as possible to the engine to make it easier to separate the rest of the electronics.
Ignition is grounded between the washer on one of the engine mount bolts and the front face of the engine mount where it is anchored.
The throttle servo is the closest to the ignition and I should have clarified about it being in the default location which is in the center of the fuse after the receiver tray behind the wing tube.... definitely more that 11' away.
I have noticed that the only time the servos twitch is with the engine running. When its off everything is perfectly still.... even with the ignition switch on.

I thought about finding a resistor plug cap to help contain the interference but was worried that I may reduce the spark too much? I have found another article talking about changing out the ignition module completely to resolve this?
It sounds like a similar set up to my 2 Pitts, at idle the servo's twitch a little and it is due to the vibration of the motor not an electrical problem. When its flying there is no issue.