RCU Forums - View Single Post - Monokote base and additional stripes
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2002, 12:24 PM
BingoFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote base and additional stripes

I have very good luck installing sunbursts using MonoKote over Monokote. I cut the starburst and then apply by spraying Windex on the wing and applying the starburst and squeeging untill all bubbles are removed. I then let set for 24 hrs. before tacking down with a warm (175-200 deg.) iron then I go around the edges with a sealing iron set at hot.

I alao have had good luck by making a skin before starting to cover, The skin has the starburst cut out of the base color and a larger starburst applied over the cutout. I do this on a sheet of glass and have had good luck using a sealing iron (hot) and also MonoKote Adhesive Solvent. Again I use Windex sprayed on the glass and remove all bubbles with a squeege.

I hope this helps it is much easier than it sounds, the second method saves a little weight and has no chance of bubbles appearing under the starburst but is more time consuming and slightly more difficult.

The stripes around the sunburst I cut using MonoKote's SmartStripe it lets you cut perfect stripes and will pay for itself by not having to purchase stripe material (I use MonoKote scrap).