RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMX Radian - The Ultra Micro Glider
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 05:57 PM
ken bartlett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Ron. Do you have a Whipit already? I pre-ordered one from Horizon and was told it would be available in May. I can hardly wait for mine to arrive.... I really love small gliders. I am sure you could put a motor on the Whipit but I am thinking that adding a motor and speed control up front might make the plane nose heavy. I plan to fly my Whipit as a pure glider' . Years ago I flew free flight hand launched gliders in competition. It took a pretty hefty launch and I am not sure my arm is what it used to be. If I have trouble throwing the Whipit I will do what a lot of old free flight glider modelers do. Use a catapolt launch. A wooden dowel about 8 inches long with 3/16 rubber on the end. I have not tried it but I have read that they have great launches. I have a small slope in my area and I will try that. From the videos and early reports on the Whipit it is a state of the art glider. I have fantastic thermal activity in my area. I am thinking I could take my Whipit out on a good day and just with a gentle toss catch a thermal. I have a Hobby Zone Champ and it thermals beautifully . My next small glider will be a "Thermic Trooper" . It is an old model from the 50's with a 28inch wing span You can order one from Penn Valley Hobby Center. I am going to put a small brushless motor with a folding prop on it............Happy thermals to you Ken..