RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMX Radian - The Ultra Micro Glider
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 12:08 AM
doublebuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ken bartlett
Hello Ron. Do you have a Whipit already? I pre-ordered one from Horizon and was told it would be available in May. I can hardly wait for mine to arrive.... I really love small gliders. I am sure you could put a motor on the Whipit but I am thinking that adding a motor and speed control up front might make the plane nose heavy. I plan to fly my Whipit as a pure glider' . Years ago I flew free flight hand launched gliders in competition. It took a pretty hefty launch and I am not sure my arm is what it used to be. If I have trouble throwing the Whipit I will do what a lot of old free flight glider modelers do. Use a catapolt launch. A wooden dowel about 8 inches long with 3/16 rubber on the end. I have not tried it but I have read that they have great launches. I have a small slope in my area and I will try that. From the videos and early reports on the Whipit it is a state of the art glider. I have fantastic thermal activity in my area. I am thinking I could take my Whipit out on a good day and just with a gentle toss catch a thermal. I have a Hobby Zone Champ and it thermals beautifully . My next small glider will be a "Thermic Trooper" . It is an old model from the 50's with a 28inch wing span You can order one from Penn Valley Hobby Center. I am going to put a small brushless motor with a folding prop on it............Happy thermals to you Ken..
Hi Ken,
Thanks for writing to me. First of all I do not have a Whipit but I have a hunch I might get one soon. The receiver in the Whipit has a small black box on the rear of the receiver module. I asked a company rep if that small black box was a jack for the motor and gear box with folder (used by the UMX Radian) like I modified for the UMX ASK-21 and he said yes! I have quite a few gliders, a Calypso, A Sky Scout, Phoenix 1600, a Smart K from Amazon, a UMX Radian, and a Yuki Pilatus B4 from Value Hobby. Those small gliders are so convient-just drop them in the car with the HiTech charger and off we go! The wife says I have too many now! I am itching to try to motorize the Whipit as I think it would be interesting. I have not been in competition as you have but have been glider and electric CD over many years until old man cancer made me stay home for a few years. But I am back now. Two of the most "Thermal Happy" electric gliders are the Sky Scout (without ailerons) and the HZ Champ but the UMX Radian is the best so far. Thanks for the info on Penn Valley. We used to go to the KRC electric meet a few years ago and that shop is an old timer's paradise. Our club field opens at 9:30 AM so thats when I tryout the morning thermals too. I am in E. Hartford, CT.and am really glad Spring has sprung!

Happy Thermals,
Ron

Last edited by doublebuck; 04-13-2015 at 12:33 AM.