RCU Forums - View Single Post - What is the deal with WILL NOT SHIP!?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 01:13 AM
BobbyMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that many buyers seem to think that shipping should be FREE. Like the "small cost" of $24.00 should be absorbed by the seller who is selling a $100.00 item?!!

Then there is the built plane that someone lists for $500.00 and the prospective buyer who is on the other side of the USA offers $250.00 and wants FREE shipping! REALLY?!!
Yep! Those types of "buyers" exist!

When I sell a .60 sized plane, I sell it locally only. Not too many people want to pay $90.00+ to crate, $30.00 worth of packing material, and another $120.00 to ship a $300.00~$500.00 or even a $1,000.00 plane.
And I don't want to spend five+ hours building a crate and packing a plane into it, then driving 20+ miles to a shipping facility. So I can understand someone else not wanting to do that either. What a waste of a whole day just to sell a plane! It's so much easier to sell it locally ... Someone comes to your house and drives it away. Done! And in less than 20 minutes. Isn't that easy!

Add to the shipping scenario that the seller is "on-the-hook" for any damage during shipping.
And paypal is not your friend if you are the seller. Since the "buyer" is usually too cheap to want to pay for insurance (cause they want to pay as little as possible), a seller might ship the plane without the $40+ insurance cost, or ship through Greyhound where they don't offer insurance for any item that is shipped further than 300 miles. Either way here, the seller is really exposed for all risk and a total loss.

Plus, have you ever tried to collect on an insurance claim with a carrier? What a nightmare that is!

It's a total nightmare if anything goes wrong. For the seller, it's not worth the risk. So, I understand when someone refuses to deal with that risk, problem, and time it takes to crate a plane.
Been there, done that ... Never again.
If I can't sell a plane locally, then I just don't sell it.

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 05-05-2015 at 01:31 AM.