RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes new Escapade for DLE 30cc?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 04:09 PM
JoeMamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
Joe,
Jtec will build you anything you ask for, but they will not modify anything. If it were me, I'd hang on until you fly/get a chance to play with the silencers on your 55. -Al
Hi Al,

A beautiful and perfect day here today, so I finally got a chance to test out the muffler silencers on my DLE 55 powered Reactor. I forgot to bring my db meter, but the silencers cut at least 15-20 percent of the exhaust noise. The guys in the peanut gallery all said it was a very noticeable improvement from last year and with only a loss of about 300 rpm!!

I finally got my DLE 35RA and right away did not like the supplied super thin constructed muffler. Then I picked up a JTEC Pitts Style muffler. What difference in quality ! A nice heavy-duty piece !

The I.D. of the downtubes on the JTEC are 14mm and this size silencer is currently not available. I'm planning on using a set of 14.4mm silencers (14.4 mm is the closest size available). The 14.4mm silencers will need to be improvised to fit the 14mm downtubes. As far as a noise improvement, I hope they work out as well as the silencers on my DLE 55.

Because the JTEC muffler is physically larger than the supplied muffler I'm going to need to do a partial re-construction of my engine box. I have been reading about the statements that the cowl is too short and the cowl mounting screws need to mounted right on the very edge of the cowl. By moving my engine slightly more rearward, my cowl mounting screws should line up very well on the sides of the fuse.

Joe M.