RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kraft WingMaster
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 10:05 PM
gbbeeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember having one back in the 70's.

The kit I had, used cardboard to skin the wing cores and I ended up decommissioning the model when the cardboard started to buckle. I suspect balsa sheet wouldn't do this. Up until then, I had a blast flying it.

The most unusual maneuver was a deep stall that caused a rotation that can best be described as head over heels over and over until up elevator was released and the plane just pointed down, recovered and flew out. I don't remember where I had the cg, but thinking about it. I can see how an aft cg could be very near impossible to recover from the deep stall auto-rotations. Never had another plane since that would do that and I typically stayed away from unstable cg positions in my planes so I never ran into a problem. As for power, I was using a relatively used Supertiger G21/.46 with a perry carb (the original was near impossible to get working right) and that was plenty. In case you are worried about setup, roll is pretty obvious and pitch up is an upward deflection on the tailevons. Don't rememeber it landing hot, could be rrandletn had his a bit over-engined or heavy compared to mine. I am considering making a new one where the engine mount wouldn't point the needle valve or muffler at the ground (Kind of like a Diamond Dust). It was an inexpensive plane and fun to just bore holes in the sky. So go for it!