RCU Forums - View Single Post - Warbirds difficulty to land
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 06:01 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're bouncing because you are coming in too hot. It's natural to have an aversion to letting warbirds slow down too much. I struggled with this for a long time. You need to come in with power applied but not too much. There's a balance that takes a while to master and is particular to the airframe. Here's what I use as a general procedure. Drop flaps on your downwind leg. Make the turn to your base leg at about 1/4 throttle and begin your descent. I try to use about 10 degrees of down pitch. Try to maintain this pitch angle throughout your approach. Use power to maintain it and as little elevator as possible. Turn to final (watch your speed, add power if necessary to maintain your pitch angle) and try to be at about 6 feet above the ground when you reach the runway threshold. Bring power back to idle or slightly above and start to gently pull the nose up and let the speed bleed off as you level out and slow the descent rate. If you're descending too fast, bring in a bit of power to slow the descent rate. When you're about 1 foot above the ground, pull out any power you might have left and let her land on the mains. Three point landings are for Stinsons and Citabrias, not warbirds. Let the ground speed bleed off and gently use elevator to drop the tail. Be gentle though because you don't want the plane to balloon off the runway. Good luck and keep practicing.

Last edited by irocbsa; 06-06-2015 at 06:15 AM.