RCU Forums - View Single Post - HPI Savage Flux XS Overheating Problem
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 08:26 AM
boomgreen87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
I hear ya, Max, but he also made this statement, which implies everything was hunky-dory until a few runs ago when things started getting hot. That tells me that something changed. And usually, that something is DRAG, no? I agree that NiMh packs tend to overheat with brushless systems. I've melted shrink-wrap on NiMhs, which is why I went to Lipo. Lipos can heat up too, if they are too low of a C-rating, or, the pack is getting old. I've got a Gens Ace 40C pack that is getting old, and I use it only for my daily fun run, since it's capacity has decreased such that it's not worth using on a race day. I ran it the other day in my SCT with the big Novak 550, and that battery got REALLY hot (110F) and even puffed the case a little. That never happens when I run it in my Hyper TT. So the power the motor system is trying to pull also affects how hot the battery gets. But I'll still bet ya a donut the OP has one or more bearings that need replacing.
I agree that it isn't that the batteries aren't up to the task because as you pointed out, I said that they were running fine before. So there has to be something wrong with the truck or maybe one of the connections. I am going to test out my older battery again to make sure that it is in fact not a problem with the batteries. Once I'm done that, I will start looking into what may be wrong, check the bearings, etc.