RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 02:43 PM
DaleCS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build

Hello! Welcome to my first build thread.

This project started as a result of the following:
  • My Byron Hellcat was augured in June 2014 at the hands of a fellow club pilot (an excellent pilot - we were all surprised/shocked at the event; before picture, below)
  • Requirements
    • Re-use the salvageable parts from the Byron (engine, landing gear, pilot (though he's in need of a head and Blue Box no longer sells the figure/parts))
    • Another Hellcat (I really like this plane, its history and flight performance)
    • Fit within my Jeep GC

So, another 1/6 scale bird was in order. Iron Bay failed to answer emails and phone, and their phone wouldn't go to messaging. I had been getting good service from Iron Bay until then, even when others had been complaining. I recently spoke to a club member that said they had just gotten some parts via Iron Bay. Well, too late for me - I had made my decision several months ago.

I went with Belair Kits UK - started by scaling up a 1/8 Brian Taylor design. However, the errors induced from scaling up non-computerized drawings were too great. So, they recommended reducing the Ziroli plans and cut a short kit, at 1/6 scale. I have a canopy and cowling from another supplier of a 1/6 plan. The canopy is a close fit - can probably make it work with some heat and reshaping. The cowling shape is quite different - it's back end is very squarish, not meeting up with the teardrop shape of the Ziroli F1 firewall. Looking at various drawings I can get over the internet, I think the Ziroli F1/F2 shapes are closer to the real thing.

For the remaining wood, I ordered a 'completion' kit from National Balsa Wood Co- Balsa wood, Basswood ... for the 1/5.4 Ziroli Hellcat. Using LHS (Nankin Hobbies) for any other bits, as and when needed.

Using the Precision Eagle 4.2 engine from the Byron kit. Had some welding repair work done on the exhaust manifold by Mazza Auto Parts Waterford, MI. I replaced the carb, perhaps unnecessary, but it had taken a hit and needle valves were bent. Plus, the original was no longer in production - getting spares parts for it might become a problem - so I upgraded to a current model. Then, B.J.'s Model Engine Service straightened the crank, replaced a bearing and rings, cleaned it up and upgraded the electronic ignition. Runs great, running Pennzoil ATC. After building a test stand for the engine, I discovered that a small baffle behind the carb intake smoothes the engine's performance. That 'characteristic, periodic gurgle' was not quaint feature but a result of inadequate air intake!

Yes, that was a lot of rework and repair. Guess I like taking broken things and making the work again, and better.

Landing gear needed some work, too: I've replaced bent parts, and I'm currently waiting on Robart for a couple custom rotation struts - they needed to be a bit longer for the Ziroli 1/6 vs. the Byron 1/6.

Wing structure is built - waiting on retracts. Carbon fiber wing joiners in a 3-part wing construction (have wing bag for outer panels, and transporting fuse with the wheels attached is a welcomed feature). Using magnetic building method, from Airfield Models - Radio Control Flying Aircraft and Display ... very nice system; first time using system; won't build another plane without it!

Fuse: Still putting stringers on. Will get some pictures to post.

Some goals:
  • Primarily a flyer - not shooting for competition, but want it to look good, right, if not fully detailed.
  • Looking at NS-Modelers detail kit for Hellcat
  • Dynamic Balsa 1/6 F6F cockpit kit, sliding canopy rails (manual operation - still on fence regarding RC control)
  • Redesign ailerons and outboard flaps for fabric (Solartex/Pink-It/Scale Rib Stich) covering (only inboard flaps were aluminum covered, except for bottom portion of outboard flaps if/when aircraft had rocket hard points)
  • Offset aileron hinges (replicate scale feature; will help reduce adverse yaw)
  • True slotted flaps (This may be outside my patience and time budget! Have seen several designs for this - at 1/6 scale, fit may just be too tight; may settle on offset Robart hinge points to simulate effect. Also, haven't seen a design that replicates Hellcat's slotted design completely - on Hellcat, flaps could be deployed at any speed - basically, at over-speed condition, flaps would be blown upwards, but still be spaced back - as speed decreased to correct deployment speed, the flaps would drop. Might have been part of the reason why when used as a dive bomber, pilots would drop the landing gear (not the flaps) - the air flow would prevent full extension, but the induced drag was sufficient to slow the plan for dive bombing purposes.)
  • Functional lights
  • Functional cowl flaps
  • Bomb drop (need source for 1/6 scale rack/bomb)
  • External fuel tank (currently outside of scope, unless I can drop it, belly landings (not desired!) may cause a lot of damage; as the belly plan is separate from the wing, can add it later)
  • Looking at Nelson paints for color match and low VOC content
  • Looking at Futuba S-bus for control
  • Figure out a cowling solution
    • Buy a Ziroli cowling, 3D scan it, reduce to needed dimensions and then 3D print a cowling?
    • Cut front of my fiberglass cowling off (which has scale shape) and marry it to a built up cowling?
  • Hidden cowl mounts (did this on my Byron, with success)
  • Functional, scale exhaust is probably out of scope, but non-functional should be in scope.
  • Flying by Summer 2016.

Thanks to "samparfitt"! I've been reading the ZIROLI 96" F6F HELLCAT BUILD, getting some help/tips from the words and pics, there.

This is my first build of this complexity, with such little instruction. Well, that's the intro - and enough for tonight!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2499.JPG
Views:	4434
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	2110298   Click image for larger version

Name:	StockmanHellcatOnKnifeEdgeCropped.jpg
Views:	4334
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	2110319