RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mini 40 scratch build Help??
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 12:16 AM
SkyField

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini 40 scratch build Help??

Hey guys, I'm considering building the Nightmare MKVIII. the plans are available for 5 bucks so i purchased them haha.

I am a newbie when it comes RC boat building but have fiber glassed a fair bit. and im looking on some guidance on how people usually make the things.
There are 3 ways im thinking on approaching this.

1. planking the hulls and then glassing them (pretty straight forward apart from i would have to plank the top and bottom and glue them because of hull design. i think)

2. cut out each 12 sections of the hulls from foam and then glue them together. Then glass over them. (leaving the foam core on the inside)

3. i have never see this done before, however i thought of it and though it was a great idea. cut out the 12 hull sections of foam in a female configuration (with a hole cut in the shape of the hull in each piece of foam) then glue them together. then cut it in half (so there is a top and bottom off the hull). Kinda like a top and bottom mold made from foam.Then using it like a normal mold with glass. I know the chances of using the mold again are pretty low because its foam. however its the lightest way of making the hull i can think of that's easy (weight is a priority because of hydrofoils).

Can someone please give their views on weather or not option 3 is a good idea, as i thought of it and it seemed good.

-cheers