RCU Forums - View Single Post - Range test of a few radio systems
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 03:33 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting that it should find such a big difference between Jeti and the Weatronic DV4 module. I have a comparison between the two, in the same model three weeks apart, and the data logs show no discernible difference at all between the two systems.

I have an E.E. Lightning, covered in flite-metal, some patches of carbon-fibre, 160 engine, 1 gallon fuel tank, so it’s a challenging environment for a 2.4GHz signal and I take a lot of interest in the signal data that is logged. The model was flown on Weatronic using their Rx patch aerials that they claim are extra good, then converted to Jeti. Both systems record the radio data differently, Weatronic using RSSI and packets received, Jeti using a reception strength out of 9 at each aerial and an LQI %, but if I overlayed the RSSI and aerial reception strength graphs, or the packet and LQI graphs, you would not be able to tell one system apart from the other. You cannot see that one is performing better or worse than the other at getting the data through to the Rx. Max distance with both systems according to the GPS was around 750 yards, around 2250 feet, at which it was on the point of being impossible to orientate. If it failsafed at 3100 feet I wouldn’t care, I would have lost sight of it and crashed well before then!

I fly in a rural setting with few other 2.4GHz signals, it would be very interesting to see what effect a noisy environment has on each system.

Last edited by HarryC; 09-09-2015 at 03:37 AM.