RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 11:29 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey my 100 Ran great today! Flew my Cub today, with the SIG fuel too, and figured out that it needs to warm up a few minutes at 1/4 throttle before it runs smooth all the way to WOT, don't have to do that with Wildcat. I flew at just under half throttle and got 12 minutes with a 1/4 tank left, and didn't want to risk a dead stick with it, so came in when the timer said so and all is good. I had redone the tank on it and figured the reason it quit was just the fact that I had a nose down bank that robbed the pickup of fuel.

There was a steady wind out of the west today and dint want to risk a dead stick at the wrong side of the runway, so landing when I did was good. HOWEVER, I had thought I solved my dead stick issue with my Somethin Extra, the one with an OS 70 on it, I replaced the tank with a Sullivan Flex tank, all new lines, and a filler valve so I can tie the fuel lines down. No leaks and everything looks and works good. Flew it about 12 minutes, doing all sorts of aerobatics, practiced harrier landings with it, and did a noce one, taxied over, checked fuel levels and was about 5/8's full, so took off again, flew another 2 minutes, and sure as S**T quit when at the top of a loop. I had done about 4 Cuban 8's prior to that, and this time though, it was too far downwind, and my fear of not making the runway came true. It went behind some trees as I had lost all aileron control, and could not bank it or anything, and when I recovered it, I thought, oh, nice landing, it was sitting on its gear all in one piece, then I noticed half the prop was gone and the front was full of dirt, then saw the divit 3 feet away and the other half of the prop. I looked back at the plane ans saw the left wing was at an angle and realized it hit nose first, causing the wings to flap forward, bending the wing tube. Wont take but an hour to repair it, but the wing tube is bent so instead of risking a weakened tube by straightening it, I will just replace it.

So what the hell is causing it to die at 1/2 tank inverted? Is it due to the spray bar being a 1 1/4" ( 31 mm for you down under folks) above the tank centerline? If so, why only when inverted? On the ground it runs great at 1/4 tank, however, it is difficult to invert the plane on the ground to simulate a loop.

With the issue I am having, that and even at full throttle I cant maintain a knife edge, the nose just drops, wont keep the angle for more than a second, I am considering replacing the OS with a smaller Saito, and pulling the counterweight in the tail. Does anyone know what the FG-11 equivalent in glow is? Giving some thought to removing it from the T-Clips and putting it in the SE instead. I am having a blast flying the SE even at low rates, and want to go more than 10 minutes at a time and now worry about dead sticks.