RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

If I knew where to get it, I might mix my own, however, considering I rarely use more than a couple gallons a year, it has not bee feasible since this stuff sucks up water like a sponge, even in sealed containers. When I build the B-25 and run a pair of 91's on it, and fly my P-51's with the YS 110 and Saito 125, then my fuel consumption will be much higher and make it feasible, provided of course I can obtain the methanol and nitro locally. As for the rest of my builds, I may be going to strictly Saito 4 stroke gas models, like the FG-21 and higher. I have a TF 1/7th Corsair nearing the finish line that has DLE 20 knockoff XYZ for it, but I am considering going 4 stroke gas instead on it, 2 stroke sound on a warbird is just not my cup of coffee. For the P-61 considering a pair of FG-36(if I can find them) or FG-40.

When I look at the FG-11 it does not look like it would take much at all to convert a glow into gas, just a matter of fixing the drive washer, installing a magnet in it, mounting the pickup, and swap out the carb. If all it takes is a new crank, drive washer and carb, then any swap meet find of a large Saito that the FG is based on should do it. If it can save me a few hundred over the cost of a new one, it would be worth it. $3 a gallon for gas is a whole lot cheaper than $20 a gallon for glow!

Last edited by acdii; 09-22-2015 at 01:33 PM.