RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are smaller models getting left behind?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 06:47 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmp3cantrj
For me it is about having something new and different. Frankly the big stuff may fly well - but in a way that makes it too easy. It is more challenging to make something small that performs well. Martin Lambert's "10" size turbine prototype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4DeRX7q1w4 is more exciting to me than any 1/3 scale yawnmaker.

All thngs being equal a smaller model is a bigger technical challenge, going big is a copout.
Given you think a 1/3 scale plane is a yawn maker, do you fall to the ground in boredom when you see a full-size plane?

I'm not seeing many hobbyist "make" small planes. Lambert is a manufacturer. The hobbyist consumer simply just buys his product just like another hobbyist would buy a 200n engine.

Regarding small planes, most of what I've seen is people buying small ARF EDF jets, stuff their equipment into them, and go fly. Once again, they are not "making" anything... just adding a product to a online shopping cart. Most of these planes that I've come across are RTF, so all the person has to do is bind their transmitter. Please tell me what differentiates these planes from larger ones in terms of challenge.