Old 11-05-2015, 01:17 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Love2FlyMN
Wow, great input everyone.

Thanks very much.

So the main components I'll need...

4 yards Lite Fabric (I believe it's 60" wide)
1 Pint PolyTak or Stix-it
1-2 Quarts Poly tone (J-3 OEM Yellow) (I will try to calculate based on 1 gallon covering 200 sq ft
1 Qt Poly brush.
MEK for thinning. (Does this take place of the Poly dope 65-75 reducer?)

Thanks again, the input is much appreciated.
Don't kid yourself. You will need at least 2 quarts of the yellow for a 1/4 scale cub because yellow takes more coats to get opaque. And yes, use MEK for thinning instead of the reducer. I've seen no difference between using the expensive reducer and using MEK. Also, I thin the polytak slightly as well. It helps it brush on easier, stays wet a few seconds longer (allowing you to do slightly larger sections at once), and avoids some lumpiness that you can get if the polytak is too thick.

When you're done, your plane, fabric, and paint will be good for 20+ years.

Couple of notes. Subsequent coats of paint melt into the previous coat. So if you get dust or something in your paint, when its dry you can pick it out or wet sand it out and when you do the next coat, you'll never know it was there. Also, if you get a run, you can carefully keep misting it to keep it wet and it will lay down to a large extent. Be aware this also means that MEK and/or acetone will remove your paint job (and Polytak as well), even when its fully dry. Other than that, its impervious to glow, gas, and electrons.