RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bridi ESCAPE new build. any tricks or tips would be lovely !
Old 11-05-2015, 09:28 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
"SNIP"

also what about the XLT anhedreal tail? would that benefit my escape any? I'm not going to do any competing but id like to kit bash to make it better if it would do anything for me
Don't use anhedral on the stab. It doesn't add anything to the flying and just complicates the set-up during the fitting stages.

Talking fitting, getting the stab exactly at right angles to the fin can be challenging especially during the gluing stage of the stab. Here's how I do it:

I made a large triangle (as wide as the stab and as tall or taller than the fin) out of 1/8" Plexiglas (from home improvement stores). Then scribed several parallel lines to the bottom and one perpendicular line exactly in the middle of the triangle, from the top, through the parallel lines, down to the bottom. Then I drilled several holes on each of the lines. The holes are used to push pins through into the center lines of the fin post and stab TE. The bottom of the triangle sits on the flat bench and is the reference.

The tool bends as much as 1/2" or more to accommodate stab forword placement relative to the fin post. Of course if the stab is a couple inches forward the tool won't help but other than the Cap, all classics and current 2 meter planes are game.

You can't miss the alignment with this simple tool. It allows you the opportunity to triple check stab squareness to the fuse CL and stab incidence. Once you are satisfied with setup, it holds everything in place while the glue cures. Wing is set to the stab and is one of the last things I do in set-up and fitting.

BTW- if anhedral stabs are a must, this tool makes their alignment elementary.