RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lanier Shrike Conversion?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 10:14 AM
paw080

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLBetten
Think a .15 sized Lanier Shrike would convert well to CL for a fairly newbie sport flyer?

Hi CL, are you building from a set of plans, or will you build a kit? First of all, I recommend a drastic weigh reduction. That means

you will have to do a lot of wood size reduction and pay very careful attention to wood grain. I also suggest you try to build for

an 18-20% CG. This model as designed has way too long a nose moment. You will have to shorten the nose length, and place

the front of your tank at the leading edge of the wing. Also lose the inward wedge angle of the vertical fins.

This Shrike is an attractive model for sure; but the design configuration has been explored decades before. I refer to

The Fierce Arrow and Barry Baxter's 1/2 Arrow. Bare's 1/2 Arrow has 260sq"s wing area, and this was powered with a

Paw .049 cu" diesel engine. The Netzband Fierce Arrow has 800sq"s wing area and was powered by the venerable Fox .35.

If building from plans, I recommend 350-400sq"s wing area if using a strong .15 engine. Best of luck;

Tony