RCU Forums - View Single Post - A Few Building Ideas To Chew On
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. We know who the builders/creators are. The thing is that at least half of the folks in Pattern today were in Pattern 25 years ago when we all had to build our own. People know how to build but choose not to.

ARFies have their place and I've purchased them also. But if one wants better, one has to make it himself.

Example, I purchased a Griffin ARF from F3AU last year which is electric strictly. Well, I don't do large electric so I converted it to IC. Also changed the rinky dink landing gear mounting. My method is stronger and lighter. Reason for tackling the project is, this particular model is very lightly built for a full composite so it was worth the effort.

Here are a couple more snaps of the completed panel:
I've cut through most of the aileron but I leave it in until after the carbon tissue is on. It maintains aileron stability. I've decided to bed the carbon tissue first and follow it up with light weight Esaki Japanese tissue. The Esaki has a much finer, easier to fill surface. Both combined are lighter than 3/4 oz glass and epoxy.
Note how the molded LE was fitted. It's considerably lighter than working on a hunk of balsa. Plus it is easier to produce identical left and right LEs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole Wing assy.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	2134624   Click image for larger version

Name:	completed wing panel.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2134625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Molded LE.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	220.9 KB