RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top RC Zero from Gator R/C
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hopefully the expert builders are not getting bored with the detail I'm providing. I took a detour and was messing with the tail wheel retract. I found a nice looking wheel (stock one is bad) that looks the part. The scale Zero tail wheel for carrier use was very small (5.75" diameter) solid rubber. My 1.75" diameter wheel is bigger than scale, but will provide better ground handling. I don't know what the wheel is, I had it in a box and it's off of some ARF. If I had to buy one I'd use the 1.5" Dubro. I might end up with one of those if my foamy wheel is not durable. It looks the part as well.

For the retract servo I used a Hitec HS-5087MG, light and powerful as well as programmable. You'll notice the hole in the mount is very long and thin, nothing really matches it. So I had to build up some wood on the one end to shorten the hole. Since the 5087 is a digital servo, I could bump up the travel using a programmer. This allows the horn to rotate farther, and come closer to locking out, thus reducing stress that the servo sees in the down locked or up position. I used a 2-56 threaded rod and some linkage to hook it up. Slowed it down a bit with my radio, and set the end points. Here's how it looks in the full down and full up positions.

Post if you have questions, I'll have more soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dubq0955.jpg
Views:	8218
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	2135746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2744.JPG
Views:	8413
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	2135747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2745.JPG
Views:	8515
Size:	197.3 KB