RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thanks ama, thanks for nothing!
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 05:28 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over a year ago I predicted that this would happen. AMA sees a giant pile of money, and even though 99.9% of drone pilots have no reason to join AMA much less a local club, they decide that instead of being happy with our Congressional exemption for traditional model airplanes, they want that money. So, they try to pull the old "Bait and Switch" on the federal government and guess what? It didn't work.

AMA: Oh Mr. Congressman, we're just a bunch of old geezer nerds playing with our harmless little toys with our children and grandchildren out in a field, not harming anyone. Would you please tell the FAA to leave us alone?
Mr. Congressman: Sure nice old man, no problem!
AMA: Thanks sucker! By the way, when we said planes we meant drones flying everywhere all the time too!

By the way, I can go dig up those posts that explicitly said I have nothing against drones per se, but don't think the AMA should get involved. Most of the responses were to tell me I was wrong, saying "we're all brothers in RC". So, how is the "all together gang" feeling today? The AMA spent over $100k to get model airplanes a congressional waiver, then they spent over a million more to get drones included and FAILED. Guess who's going to pay for that? It won't be drone pilots because they aren't members! Nice Job AMA!!!

And just so everyone knows, what the AMA was angling for was a federal "requirement" that drone pilots belong to a CBO, and guess which CBO they were hoping to force them to join? That's why you and me have to register.

Last edited by smithcreek; 12-15-2015 at 05:42 AM.