RCU Forums - View Single Post - The AMA members kick their own organization to the curb!
Old 12-25-2015, 02:42 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Those with existing aircraft can hold off on registration and still legally fly all the way to the deadline.
The AMA asked me to hold off registering for what I hope is OUR mutual benefit.
I fail to see why I should not abide by this request for the time being.
Having recently joined the Dark Side (opened a Christmas present early, days before the "mark before flying" edict), it seemed a small measure of prudence to register early. It's a toy-grade unabashed copy of the DJI Phantom, sans the smarts (except for stabilization) and brushless motors. The FPV link is via WiFi to a cell phone attached by a clip on the antenna housing of the Tx, so range is obviously limited - could hardly be considered BLOS capable. It is a gift from daughter, so Pa Pa can share the experience of flying it with 10 year old grandson who also received one as a gift. I think the craft and the circumstances are pretty typical - if the projected number sold is a million, these toys probably account for 8-900,000 of them. I seem them as being pretty innocuous, and though capable of some minor mischief, probably will very rarely get the notice of FAA, and will never be AMA's business. Most of the remainder will be flying cameras, with the airframe capable of the kind of stability provided by a tripod and quality optics. It is these that are most likely to attract scrutiny by FAA, simply because they will be operated where photo subjects are, and that is generally not on empty fields. AP is worthwhile hobby in its own right, and enthusiasts should look to organization of their own making, say as an AP SIG within an organization centered on photography. It is not an aeromodeling activity and AMA should not be party to it.
That my friend is a long way of saying I disagree with you as for abiding by AMA's request. I think it may be viewed from within as being to AMA HQ's benefit, but consider it will unlikely be to OUR benefit as modelers. So, even notwithstanding my recent move to the dark side, I hope for and give my support to an overwhelming showing of acceptance of the registration process, as it might just get AMA management to take a few steps down from their ivory tower and empire building ambitions.