RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA says, "Wait to register"
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Good for you! I think that is absolutely the reason your fleet is almost entirely intact. Years ago, military aviation had the mentality of "kick the tires, light the fires." Well, it's no wonder we were crashing so often.

Complex systems fail in complex ways, and much of what is flying today are indeed complex systems - gyros, battery busses, servo busses, transmitter programming, multiple receivers, multi-path signals, onboard control systems, vibration issues, onboard EMI, offboard EMI, etc. Some are quick to blame this radio brand or that radio brand when it's likely one or more of the above (or the one that's really the case most often - pilot error).
Agreed, totally. And that's another factor in some of my planes' longevity - they're still ALL on 72MHz, some are still running the old Futaba Conquest radios. Yeah, they're old, but absolutely reliable. I may or may not eventually go to the 2.4GHz radios but not before I actually see some of the rampant failures go away, and I'm still seeing far too many - for whatever reasons. My impression with many of these failures/crashes/flyaways is that the onboard antenna isn't "just right" and it's losing the signal - might be wrong with that, Idunno.

Anyway, they fly, they're safe and legal, and I'm having fun.