RCU Forums - View Single Post - Incompatibility with CAT air trap and Kingtech/Jetcat engines?
Old 01-27-2016, 02:21 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Hell, just how hard can you guys make this problem ?

I am using the standard CAT size on my two JetCat 180Rxs installed in my AW Hawks, NO engine problems except for static issues, now resolved, (as do many many others here in the UK and around the world, ) and they work PERFECTLY, never heard of anyone in the UK complaining about them, in fact I changed my BVM UATS TO the CAT because it was getting such good reports from my very competent flying friends. I saw quite a few installed in models at the last JWM.

Now, if you are using a 160 or larger engine you could use the CAT 260 HIGH FLOW which I bought for the Olympus in my SkyGate Hawk. It is specifically designed for high power engines with large fuel flows.

These CATS are beautifully made and perfect for the jpb.

The Intairco UAT is also an outstanding product, beautifully made too, and has the additional features of a drain tube and TWIN fuel inlets.It ticks ALL the boxes .

So for the gozillianth time THOROUGHLY FILTER your fuel, at every stage, start with a MR Funnel and then install reducing mesh filters as the fuel moves to the tanks.

and a further point:

If your engine DOES flameout and you are pushed for height and trying to stretch the glide to reach the runway BVM (see his web site) suggests lowering flap to improve the L/D ratio. Lowering flap WORSENS L/D ratio and the best glide range is obtained with flaps UP. (at a speed which is about 1.3 Vimd) but how you work that out on a model is a problem, but it does mean keeping the speed up, particularly when flying into wind !

The rest of the article makes very good sense but on that point I disagree.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 01-27-2016 at 02:26 AM.