RCU Forums - View Single Post - Incompatibility with CAT air trap and Kingtech/Jetcat engines?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:08 PM
gapellegrini

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Gladwin

If your engine DOES flameout and you are pushed for height and trying to stretch the glide to reach the runway BVM (see his web site) suggests lowering flap to improve the L/D ratio. Lowering flap WORSENS L/D ratio and the best glide range is obtained with flaps UP. (at a speed which is about 1.3 Vimd) but how you work that out on a model is a problem, but it does mean keeping the speed up, particularly when flying into wind !

The rest of the article makes very good sense but on that point I disagree.
David,

BV may be right at least for some planes. If you look at the full scale F-104 flight manual the emergency procedure for a flame out says that for optimal glide distance is reached with take off flap. For sure the 104 is a very unusual plane and it was the only full scale plane I found this procedure.

On a pratical side with my bandit I flew about 150 ft above me on runaway direction and put the plane on idle simulating a flame out and landed applying flaps and gear close to the runaway. On another pass at the same height, direction and speed I did as BV said appling take off flap after losing some speed but not gaining altittude and the plane glided better and crossed runaway start at a higher altitude. Not a very scientific valid experiment but a good one.

Gabriel