RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 PM
DaleCS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upper wing sheeting

Started sheeting the upper right wing. Edge sanded 4 4"x3/16" sheets, gluing together to form a 16" wide sheet. Marked and trimmed to fit sheet around the ply/balsa TE for the outboard flap. Shown below, I've just glued the sheet along this ply/balsa TE and clamped it flat.

Below, the right wing with upper surface sheeted.

Spent quite a bit of time figuring out how to hold the wing panel in order to build in 1.75 degrees of washout. Turned out, I need not have worried so much. After the glue setup, found that the wing panel could still be twisted a lot. Sheeting a single side did not stiffen the panel has much as I expected. So, I'll fixture the wing panel with the 1.75 degree washout in place, then epoxy the wing tube in place - this will stiffen a portion of the panel - three ribs worth.

After that, I have internal work to complete before I can complete the bottom sheeting, which will fix the washout in place.

Waiting on 50 cal barrels. Need to order offset hinges for ailerons, design/build ailerons and flaps (plans and laser cut parts are for sheet controls - I want fabric covered), make decision on servos and order, decide how complex I'm going to be with lights.

Will sheet the upper left wing, horizontal and vertical stabs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3194.JPG
Views:	3098
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2146757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3195.JPG
Views:	3119
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	2146758