RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready to register your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 04:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
As for the numbers, when the FAA publishes the next batch, I'll make sure you get a link to them. You mentioned validity. Well, last time FAA published them, they were used by legislators and reported in the media. AMA did an analysis, came to a very different conclusion, and it was barely mentioned anywhere. A university did another analysis, and it too was mentioned by legislators and media. So it appears that two of the three were viewed as credible, one was not. Maybe because it was such a transparent attempt to whitewash the numbers?

On your second point, I maintain that qualitative data (i.e. statements and generalities) vs. quantitative data will always come out in favor of quantitative data. AMA doesn't want to collect data, that's fine. But then you really can't whine when the quantitative data gets used against you.

On the registration, I maintain it's just the beginning. If the near misses keep happening, I suspect the registration will look good by comparison.

On my last point, I was merely commenting on all the places where we continue to beat a dead horse and say that 336 prohibits FAA from doing what they're doing. If it's such a strong case, then why isn't AMA pushing it? Regardless, it hasn't slowed the FAA one bit.
If you read them you notice that almost none are validated with a near miss report. Many the pilot wasn't sure what he saw. And many were observations of legal model flights. So the fact that a politician uses information that gives him control, offers no validity whatsoever. In fact almost the opposite.