RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redesign and reconstruction of the Oldest Taurus on Earth
Old 03-07-2016, 04:59 AM
bettsmums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TopFlight Kit Taurus

I recently got an original Taurus wing kit and one original fuselage side and plans. I built my model with electric power so besides adding a firewall it is basically built to the TopFlight plans. Do to my concern about balancing the model I decided to make the wing's trailing edge straight to move the CG aft. Unfortunately I actually ended up nose heavy. I couldn't find the original canopy so I cut one down from a Kaos 40. I used a Bigfoot 32 motor, 4S3000 LiPo, 70 amp speed control and a 12-8 three bladed prop. That combination runs better on a 13-10 two blade but I wanted the extra prop clearance to fly off of grass. The RTF weight is exactly 5 pounds. The maiden flight went off without a hitch and I consider this plane to be one of the best that I have ever flown. It does not bounce around in the wind and flies very smoothly. I have unlimited vertical performance and can do 400 foot diameter loops at a constant air speed because of the extra thick airfoil. The plane even glides well with the power off and touches down for landing at around 5 mph.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Taurus-1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	2151241