RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Composite Bandit Build Thread. Yes from 1998.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crhammond
essyou35 -
My SB flies and lands like a dream. My only issue has been takeoff from grass - it gets very (dangerously in fact) squirrely. There are no signs of anything catching on the ground (tanks, gear doors etc.) I have the Dreamworks trailing-link gear on it and the springs seem too soft (even the "extra stiff" ones) but still not so soft that anything hits the ground. I'm hoping a nose gyro will help and also the technique for Bandits of holding up elevator seemed to work a couple of times (but not always.) I considered putting the regular struts back on but I'm concerned the pounding it will get on grass. Our grass is really smooth and nice but its a lot of load on the gear with the small wheels and relatively long takeoff roll. Any ideas? Perhaps it's just that I need to do like the manual says and just hold the elevator up for the whole takeoff run (feels very unnatural.)

Nice..

My SB has the regular Duro struts. It used to need a fair bit of steering and careful use of throttle on take offs, but now have a gyro on nose gear, rudder and ailerons. That solved any issues, but I don't often fly from grass.
Question for you, how do the main flex plates hold up to grass operation?

For Essyou, Check this Bandit with a P120. (With wing tanks to add drag) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnYvrLAdNbo