RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jack Stafford Super Minnow
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well as an old pylon racer from the 70' and 80's, I built and flew several of those old Minnows. Later on I even flew some of the retired planes as sport models when improved racer designs came along. You can cut and build a different wing but for the most part, the thin under-camber tipped wing will fly quite well as is. I've even seen them flown in a couple of pattern contests back in the day and they did quite well. As the trend went away from that highly washed out, under-cambered tip airfoil, I use to cut wing cores with a different tip airfoil for racing as the old design was a fairly high drag wing. I reduced the amount of washout by half the amount or so and the tip airfoil was copied from a Prather Little Toni racer that was so popular at the time. The root airfoil remained untouched and the tip airfoil became symmetrical.

I still have one of my late 70's planes with the modified wing hanging on the wall in my basement. (Photos attached) This particular plane has a fiberglass fuselage but for the most part it is just the Stafford plane slimmed down a bit. They were just quicker to build with the aftermarket fiberglass fuse. The original wing had the under-cambered airfoil. I could probably trace the modified airfoil if you are interested.

These old pylon planes have excellent handling characteristics and will slow down quite well for landing though you have to learn how to slow them down. Just darn good old planes overall!

With today's lighter radio equipment, it isn't hard to build these planes lighter than the weights they use to fly at. I still have a Prather F-1 Little Toni kit and hope to find the energy to build it one day.

For those who are not familiar with these planes, the full scale planes were named Little Toni, Ballerina, Cosmic Wind and Minnow at various times in their existence

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballerina 1.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2156413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballerina 3.JPG
Views:	804
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2156414  

Last edited by Truckracer; 04-08-2016 at 05:56 PM.