RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Smith Miniplane build
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 PM
rc_wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

daywalker,

Hey no problem. The changes I made were due to collecting all the data I could from this thread and others, and then came to the conclusion that only a change in stab incidence was required. Folks have tried all sorts of things for this kit. Some hate the plane and others love it. It seemed that the ones that kept to the plan seemed to have a better flying model. The main complaint was having to put in down elevator to maintain level flight. Stab incidence pretty much cleared that up for me. The only reason I have about 1 degree down on the motor is cause of plan error I think, as it was not intentional. It just came out that way...although 1 degree is pretty difficult to see with the eye, but that is what came out when measured. It actually worked out well for me and I could not be more pleased with the flight characteristics of this little plane. It is just a joy to fly without any nasty tendencies. Keep in mind this is no "Ultimate Biplane" or a 3D bird, so if your expectations are leaning towards a precision flyer...that it is not. But for all out fun, and wicked snaps, tumbles and cuteness....it is right up there! I would caution you on playing with wing incidence other than what the plan calls for. It flies great without that mod. I think Rick S. was planning on testing the incidence by shimming on his old SMP, but not sure if he ever got around to it. If he is still listening, maybe he can pipe in.

That little OS should be an excellent engine for that plane. Hopefully you bolt a pitts muffler on it so it gets a more scale look!

I did not take many pictures of the servo mounts other than what I have provided. However, I completed another build of an RV-4, and did a similar configuration, with flaps as well, and took many pics if you want to see how it was done. I do like the servos attached to the hatch for a flat bottom wing, but if the wing is symmetrical then I find using a flat ply does not give the curvature needed to make it look seamless. So, then I use the rib mount method...but either should work well. Matter of preference I guess.

Here is the link to the RV-4 build with pics of the servo mounts.

https://backyardflyer.shutterfly.com/rv-4

Hope that helps.

Marko

Last edited by rc_wings; 04-11-2016 at 08:38 PM.