RCU Forums - View Single Post - Star Trek is here...
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 01:48 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry S.
Awesome and welcome to the club. My printer is very similar to yours. They are both offshoots of the Prusa I3 design. Mine has dual extruders. I wonder now if the dual was worth it. It is convenient and I like not having to switch colors often but the added mass means a little slower and less accurate prints.
I bought mine as a kit for Christmas because I wanted to put it together myself. It was a good experience but I like stuff like that.
What are you using for a slicer? I use Repetier and Slic3r host, I have a raspberry pi connected to my printer running Repetier server so I can access the printer from anywhere. For me, that was a huge convenience. I didn't want my laptop connected via USB at all times. I can give you info if desired. You can do it for less that $20.

You probably already know this but check out thingiverse, especially this guy
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:232248

He has literally hundreds of tanks to print out and I have made about 30 so far at 1:100 scale.

My printer has been running about 10 hrs per day since Christmas.Love it to death.

Perry
Thanks.

I use Sketchup Make, Slic3r and Repetier.

I don't mind keeping the laptop hooked in, the charger, et al is there so it's a natural home for it and it doesn't keep me from using it at the same time a print is running. Does the PI replace the Arduino, or is it a separate thing?

I will definitely check out those tanks, I really haven't looked at anything out there yet, having too much fun doing stuff for now.

For giggles, I just printed out a 1/285 bombed out roof frame. It worked like a charm, but I'm going to redo it even thinner. I designed it with .2mm rafters on 1mm center. I'm going to go with .1 on 1.5mm next since this came out rigid as heck for what it is, 1 mil thick 20X40 piece.

I am constantly amazed by the uses of this thing. I needed a spacer for a figure base. I pulled out the stock styrene to trace, cut and sand, but then I looked over at the printer. Literally within 5 minutes I had the exact piece I needed with an added overhang to attach it.