RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/4 scale cub wire landing gear repair
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 11:38 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan33klein
John,
i believe it is covered in monokote. Paper thin and brittle. I wish I had the skill to recover the whole model. I ended up painting the landing gear with the luster kote cub yellow spray can I got from my local hobby shop. Even after priming the gear this paint don't cover well at all. After about 3 coats I feel you can still see the gray primer. Probably due to spraying thin wire with an aerosol doesn't work well. I'm going to try to pick up a can of paint than I can brush on and get the coverage. But for now the gear is mounted back on the model. I want to get it back in the air Sunday. Supposed to be low wind and I want to get this big cat broke in some more.
thanks
Originally Posted by RBACONS
Don't blame the paint. Yellow is the worst for achieving color saturation. Its normal to have to put on 2 or 3 more coats of yellow than you would with a darker color. It helps to to use a white primer, rather than grey, or to put down a coat of white paint over the primer before spraying yellow.
Monokote when its new is pretty tough... the only thing with it is, it punchers very easily with small sticks and twigs... ultracote is even thinner than monokote, and punchers just as easily, if not more, but ultracote is easier to apply than monokote.

RBACONS right on the money regarding the white primer, especially when using transparent pigments like yellow... I just recovered my Sig J3, I used white solartex and then painted it with cub yellow "klasskote" epoxy paint... all the small bits, struts, and the cowl were primed with klasskote white primer first, so everything matches pretty good, as long as you apply the same number of coats over everything.

You can blame the EPA for the paint; paint manufactures are forced to us organic pigments, and low LVP / VOC solvents.

Its just a learning process Dan, once you get the hang of it, it just gets better each time you cover and paint something... practice covering some balsa with some scrap pieces of covering, you'll be proficient with it before you know it.

John M,