RCU Forums - View Single Post - Star Trek is here...
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Thanks.

I use Sketchup Make, Slic3r and Repetier.

I don't mind keeping the laptop hooked in, the charger, et al is there so it's a natural home for it and it doesn't keep me from using it at the same time a print is running. Does the PI replace the Arduino, or is it a separate thing?

I will definitely check out those tanks, I really haven't looked at anything out there yet, having too much fun doing stuff for now.

For giggles, I just printed out a 1/285 bombed out roof frame. It worked like a charm, but I'm going to redo it even thinner. I designed it with .2mm rafters on 1mm center. I'm going to go with .1 on 1.5mm next since this came out rigid as heck for what it is, 1 mil thick 20X40 piece.

I am constantly amazed by the uses of this thing. I needed a spacer for a figure base. I pulled out the stock styrene to trace, cut and sand, but then I looked over at the printer. Literally within 5 minutes I had the exact piece I needed with an added overhang to attach it.
The Pi basically works like a server. It turns the printer into a network printer. So I can upload the files to it from anywhere and access the printer with a web browser. It also serves as a webcam server so I can sit in the other room and check on the prints. I had the ting in my front room for 4 months I used it so much but eventually as prints became complex and turned into 8-10 hr prints I decided it was time to move it. You can see the Pi in this picture. It is the yellow box I printed up.

Here's what the integrated webcam looks like. It's built into Repetier Server which is free.

You can also see the cooling fans I installed. I have dual snorkels due to 2 extruders. I designed it myself in SolidWorks. You'll want to get one as soon as possible. Check Thingiverse. There are probably a bunch that will fit your printer already.

Here's a couple of the 1/100 models I made.just primered, not really detailed.

Perry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	2161799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	2161800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.JPG
Views:	78