RCU Forums - View Single Post - Returning to the hobby
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 05:32 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kestrel0222
Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here. I am re-entering the hobby of R/C flying.

I started flying back in 1973 and flew until 1989. My aircraft of choice was what is now called “classic pattern” and scale aircraft. Now that my children have grown and left the nest, I find myself wanting to re-enter this great hobby. However, this time, I will be flying sailplanes.

Obviously, a lot has changed since the late ‘80s, especially with radio technology. As I start to research which radio to purchase, there seems to be a lot more options.

Sorry in advance for the “simplistic” question, but what type of radio should I be looking at? I am looking for a radio system that has at least 6 channels (possibly 8 - 9 channels – for future use). My budget for a complete radio system is around the $300 mark. Any advice/suggestions would be a great help.

Thank you,
Hi Tom and welcome back.

Radios certainly have changed a lot since 1989 and it all good - the quality and features available today are far better than anything I flew with back int he 80s and 90s.

The brands names are all fine, Spektrum, Futaba, JR, Hitech. However in your budget range you really can't beat the FrSky Taranis - it will do everything a more expensive radio can do and often more.

You may hear they are complex to program but I imagine any 2016 radio will require a learning curve. You won't get more features for $300 in any other radio. By a long shot.

Take a good look at it as I really can't recommend it highly enough - there is not much information about it here on RCU but a huge thread on RC Groups with many active members who will answer any questions you might have.

There are different models depending if you are a thumb or tray flyer and (X9D or X9E models).

A very good supplier is Aloft Hobbies - I am an Aussie but visited their store earlier this year north of San Fransisco and the guys are very friendly and helpful.

Hope that helps.

Rob.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6206&page=3212

https://alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/...nsmitters.html