RCU Forums - View Single Post - Redwing Power Board issue?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 06:02 AM
rgoldy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redwing Power Board issue?

The board(s) in question are the Redwing 2103 yellow power board. I have a 70cc plane that I am using 3 HV big boy servos in and 4 HV medium boy servos. I had it all set up with the receiver alone and all worked well but concluded that that probably was not a good idea. I ordered the 2103 from Redwing (actually ordered 2 because my buddy wanted one as well). First one shipped pretty quick (gave that to my buddy) and the second one was about 6 wks later-no big deal, was told that, didn't care because it wasn't flying season anyway.
Board arrives and I hook it up (2S lipo) and everything binds and looks good (didn't have the wings hooked up yet). Choke works, throttle works, wiggle the stick for the elevator (2 med servos) and the system shuts down cold. That was interesting!!?? Cycle power and everything is back. Wiggle stick for elevator again and system shuts down cold again. Repeat the procedure as much as you like with the same results. Disconnect one of the elevator servos and it seems to be OK, switch and the other seems to be OK. Hook two of them up and the system shuts down cold again. Have one elevator hooked up, wiggle that along with the rudder-system shuts down. One battery, two batteries-doesn't seem to matter-involve more than 1 servo and the system shuts down.
Got Redwing tech on the phone (very helpful) and we reviewed hookup and did some voltage checks and everything seems correct so they advise to send it back for their review. Before I did that, I got my buddies unit that he had not used yet and checked that one-same results. Sent both back. Redwing got them and checked them out and was able to duplicate what I was seeing with various servos and voltages so they were going to look into it. As far as I was concerned, case closed-refund my money because I have no faith in these anymore. (As a side note, a buddy loaned my a SmartFly unit-hooked up and all is well. Not an endorsement of SmartFly, just a statement of fact.)

Well, apparently that is too simple-I was told that they would have to return these to China so they could look at it and Redwing would get their refund before they could refund me...not sure why that is my issue? Whatever...Well apparently China responded with a denial because I over voltaged it...How? I only fly gas planes and the only batteries I have are 2S lipo Rx batteries. The features say it can take up to 13V-I'm not even close!
I guess I am looking for 2 things-One is if you have one of these to make sure you mercilessly test it on the ground. 2-I am frustrated and pissed, why should I not be? And maybe 2+..what is going on?