RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stihl MS660 big bore conversion.
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Jim.Thompson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Have you tried fresh fuel, maybe from a new source?

Maybe put a glow plug in an adapter with glow fuel and try it that way. You likely have to open up the needles a lot. Just to see if the thing will run. Maybe even a gas-glow fuel mix. My Echo runs great on glow fuel, may have to try it on gas-glow mix. Good luck.

Yes, I mixed a fresh can of 50:1 stihl 2 stroke fuel.
Maybe put a glow plug in an adapter with glow fuel and try it that way. You likely have to open up the needles a lot. Just to see if the thing will run. Maybe even a gas-glow fuel mix. My Echo runs great on glow fuel, may have to try it on gas-glow mix. Good luck.
I don't have any glow plug fuel and would have to research what the mix is etc. Perhaps a local flying buddy might have some, not sure.
I guess I could machine up and tap an adapter and buy a glow plug from the local hobby store.
It could be a way of making sure it will run, as you say.

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Jim,

I know you have no doubt considered this, however I wonder if the timing is right? My guess is it is some little minor problem..........those big Stihl's are about as good as there is. Do you have a dealer nearby who you might discuss
your situation with? Often when then find out what you are doing they are more than willing to help.
When I talked with the spare parts attendant at the front counter of the local Stihl agents, they would not let me speak to a mechanic. When I mentioned what I was doing, the attitude turned to almost hostile. I don't think I will get any help there.
However, there is a small engines fellow I know, does general mowers and some chainsaws. He might be worth talking to.
I will check the timing again this morning. The supplier of the CH ignition, Adrian, recommends it to be set at 30 deg BTDC. I now have it set at 28 deg.